Circles

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Glory Years re-lived

Ok, as much as I appreciate musicians and their work, sometimes you have got to be told when to pull the plug. Or at least tame it down a bit. One of the worst things I saw was good old Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones out performing for half time during the superbowl, you all know the one. Well I believe Jagger is about 62 years old, and I definately aplaud the effort and the energy, he is in pretty decent shape for a man of his age. So they put on a decent show at best, but any stones fan or any fan of musicians would not want to see one of their favorites unwind at a show. As much as I like some of my favorite artists (Incubus, Tool, Lamb of God, Primus...) I don't want to see them 30 years past their prime, it is just saddening. I got the opportunity to attend an Ozzfest tour in 2003, and it was amazing. Chevelle, Korn, Disturbed, Manson, Ozzy, not to mention Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and so on. Great show, great audience, when Ozzy hit the stage the older part of the crowd got energized. But Ozzy, wasn't looking to good. His motor skills are falling fast, he pranced back and forth on the stage with his shoulders shrugged forward and awkward steps. He really looked bad in my opinion. The image thing doesn't bother me as bad but when I am not able to understand lyrics that I know already, then it is time to step aside Ozzy, you have had a fantastic career. It is going to be tough to keep seeing things like this happen, too many artists past their prime are beating out the last few breaths of music life they have. I am not saying that I just want them to quit, I want musicians to play music as long as they can, but I don't want to see a 62 year old shaking and thrusting his pelvis in front of an enormous audience. The stand out artists who I believe went out in style was Mr. Johnny Cash. The cover song "Hurt" was well played by Cash I think. You could actually feel the sorrow and sadness with him. He knew that he wasn't about to get on stage and try to dance around with his guitar. It is sad to think that some bands are saved from this relived glory by a tragedy of some sorts. Nirvana is to be forever held as an Icon because of the Death of Cobain shortly after reaching their peak. The Beatles are immortalized because of their brilliant career but the losses of the band members played a role as well. Elvis is huge and people want to believe that he is still alive, Tupac is the same story. An infinite amount of respect comes to excellent musicians if they die during the middle of their careers. It is kind of sad to think of it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home